Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Basic Git Prettification (Colors and Shortcuts) in Linux

At work, we use Git as our version control system. When I installed Git on OSX via Homebrew, it already had some useful configs setup out of the box. I love Git so much, I now host any small coding projects on Github (not much going on right now).

I installed Git on Ubuntu 12.04 using apt-get, but it failed to configure all the nice little shortcuts and color schemes I've gotten used to in OSX. Here are some useful git configs I just can't seem to do without. You can edit your .gitconfig or run these commands directly in your terminal:

Status/Diff Colors
git config --global color.status auto
git config --global color.diff auto
git config --global color.branch auto
Command Shortcuts
git config --global alias.br branch
git config --global alias.co checkout
git config --global alias.st status
User Info
git config --global user.name "Your Name Comes Here"
git config --global user.email you@yourdomain.example.com
Let me know what other useful settings you have in your Git configuration!

No comments:

Post a Comment